What is Aetiology of Chronic Laryngitis?
3) Diabetes, hypothyroidism
4) Vit A deficiency
1) Chronic voice abuse
2) Chronic cough
What are symptoms of chronic Laryngitis?
1. Patient complains of hoarse voice with variation in pitch
2. Vocal fatigue
3. Chronic throat irritation
4. Dry hacking cough
1. Vocal cord edges loose their pearly shine and appear red and congested with dilated blood vessels on the superior surface.
2. Cord movements appear asynchronous and flabby on phonation
3. Thick mucus seen on the cords.
4. In advanced untreated cases, mucosa exhibits polypoid changes.
Dilated vessels are seen on superior surface of vocal cords.
Movements are flabby and sluggish. Interstitial oedema and inflammatory exudates are present.
If not treatment is taken, Laryngeal polyps develop on true and false cords with fibrosis and hyalinization of cords.
What is the treatment of chronic laryngitis?
1. Stop smoking and alcohol
2. Plenty of fluids to thin secretion
3. Voice rest
4. Steam inhalation
5. Expectorants to reduce cough
6. Well humidified atmosphere
7. If no improvement, stripping of the vocal cords by microlaryngoscopy
clinical types of chronic laryngitis
Simple diffuse Chronic diffuse Keratosis Contact ulcer
Hyperplastic hyperplastic leucoplakia,
Larynights larynights squamous cell
Reversible in Associated Associated with Seen in vocal
few weeks with respiratory gastro-oesophageal Overuse